List of Revolutionary War Battles for 1777

List of Revolutionary War Battles, Raids & Skirmishes for 1777

January of 1777

January 5, 1777 near Elizabethtown, New Jersey

A small group of British cavalry, patrolling the area, were ambushed by Patriot militia.
Casualties: Americans: ? British:1 killed,1 wounded

January 6, 1777 at Elizabethtown, New Jersey

On January 6, the town of Elizabethtown was recaptured by the Americans at the end of the New Jersey Campaign.
Conclusion: American Victory

January 6, 1777 near Elizabethtown ,New Jersey

A detachment of 50 waldeck infantry emerged from the town, accompanied by a small light dragoons, whose orders were to clear the area of rebel activity but were attacked be the New Jersey militia near Springfield. The light dragoons had to retreat back to Elizabethtown after their humiliating defeat.
Conclusion: American victory

Casualties: Americans:? British:8 killed, 42 captured.

January 7, 1777 at Elizabethtown, New Jersey

New orders were given to the British force at Elizabeth town to evacuate and retreat to Amboy. As the British were evacuating their military personal, the Patriot insurgents attacked the rear area of the retreating British army. As this created confusion among the British army, 100 soldiers were captured by the Patriots. The Patriots also captured the baggage trains of two regiments and food supplies.
Conclusion: American victory

January 10, 1777 at Chatham, New Jersey

Col. Charles Scott, with a division of Virginia Continentals, captured 70 Highlanders together with their wagons.
Conclusion:American victory

January 10, 1777 at East Passage, Rhode Island

American artillery drives off HMS Cerberus from East Passage, RI, killing six.
Conclusion: American victory

January 15, 1777 at Connecticut Farms

Around 300 New Jersey militia, under the command of Colonel Oliver Spencer, ambushed 100 German foragers, killing one enemy soldier and capturing 70 more Germans.
Conclusion:American victory

January 15, 1777 at Bonhamtown, New Jersey

Around 350 American troops attacked a large body of British foragers and killed 21 British and wounding about 30 more.
Conclusion: American victory

January 20,1777 at Millstone, New Jersey

At this engagement, militia leader Gen. Philemon Dickinson with 400 militia and 50 Pennsylvanian riflemen, crossed an icy stream and fought an engagement with 500 British regulars and three cannons. The British were part of a foraging party.

The British lost a handful of men and all their forage, baggage, and supplies as they retreated. After facing the humiliating defeat, the British refused to believe that they were defeated by militia.
Conclusion: American victory

Casualties: American 4-5 killed, British:25 killed, 12 captured

January 20, 1777 at Somerset Courthouse, New Jersey

Gen. Philemon Dickinson, commanding 400 militia and riflemen, drives off a British foraging party of comparable size at Somerset Courthouse. They captured prisoners, wagons, and horses. The Americans sustained four killed.
Conclusion: American Victory

January 23,1777 at Woodbridge, New Jersey

Two British regiments were ambushed by Gen. William Maxwell and his 200 Continentals near Woodbridge. The Americans defeat the British regiments.
Conclusion:American victory

Casualties: Americans:2 wounded, British:7 killed, 12 wounded.

January 25, 1777 at West Farms, New York

The Hessian garrison from Fort Independence sallies en masse and drives off a larger American force from Lancey's Mills.
Conclusion: British Victory

Febuary of 1777

February 1, 1777 at Drake's Farm near Metuchen, New Jersey

At this location, Brig. Gen. Sir William Erskine, 1st Baronet set up a clever trap. He sent a group of foragers as bait to lure the Americans out into the open where they can be engaged on the British terms. When the American came out to attack the foragers, they were surprise attacked by the British and their Hessian allies.

The Americans fought back with high tenacity and aggression, but the British Hessian detachments could not be destroyed as they had eight artillery pieces and numerical superiority. So the Americans made a tactical withdrawal as seven badly wounded American lying on the ground were stabbed and beaten to death by the frustrated British soldiers.

An American commander exchanged a number of letters with the British accusing them of committing war crimes against helpless soldiers, but the British denied any responsibility and accusations of ever committing these alleged war crimes.
Conclusion: Indecisive

Casualties: Americans:40 killed, British: 36 killed, 100 wounded.

February 2-4, 1777 at Fort McIntosh, Georgia

Around this time, the Americans had got the the upper hand in Georgia. Tory refugees gathered in East Florida, where Gov. Tonyn was organizing them into a militia and fitting out the privateers.

On February 2, a Tory militia force stationed on the Florida-Georgia border, attacked Fort McIntosh. The fort was a small stockade of 100 feet square located on the left bank of the Satilla River. The fort was commanded by Capt. Richard Winn of the Continentals.

On February 4, after a 2-day siege, Winn was forced to surrender. The Tories paroled all of the prisoners except for 2 officers. These were taken as hostages to St. Augustine.
Conclusion: British Victory

February 6-9, 1777 at North Carolina coast, North Carolina (HMS Solebay vs. American ships)

On February 6, the frigate HMS Solebay captured the sloop Speedwell and its cargo of rice and indigo. The Solebay sent an officer and some men aboard and sailed the Speedwell to Jamacia.

On February 7, the Solebay captured the schooner Hope and the brig Fortune. Both ships were sailed to Jamacia.

On February 9, the Solebay captured the schooner Little Dick. This ship ended up getting stuck on the Nassau Bar.
Conclusion: British Victory

February 13, 1777 at Charlestown Harbor, South Carolina

Capt. Edward Allen, now commanding the SC Navy brig Comet, captured a large ship from the Bay of Honduras and sent her to Charlestown. Capt. Thomas Pickering, commanding the Defense, also sent in two prize ships. On February 27, Capt. Allen captured two more ships from Honduras that were carrying mahogany and logwood.
Conclusion: American Victory

February 23, 1777 at Spanktown, New Jersey

Lt. Col. Charles Mawhood was sent with a reinforced brigade to destroy any rebel forces he could catch. He set out with a battalion each of light infantry and grenadiers, plus the 3rd Brigade. The latter formation consisted of the 10th Foot, 37th Foot, 38th Foot and 52nd Foot, recently transferred from the Rhode Island garrison.

Near Spanktown, now Rahway, New Jersey, Mawhood found a group of militia herding some livestock covered by a larger body of Americans waiting on a nearby hill. The British officer sent the grenadier company of the 42nd Foot on a wide flanking maneuver.

Just as the grenadiers prepared to launch their assault, they were fired on from ambush and routed with the loss of 26 men. At this moment, Maxwell sent his superior force forward to envelop Mawhood's force.

The American force included the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th New Jersey Regiments, the 1st and 8th Pennsylvania Regiments, and the German Battalion.

Mawhood's surprised men were hounded all the way back to Amboy, which they reached at 8:00 PM.

For losses of five killed and nine wounded, the Americans claimed to have inflicted 100 casualties. Mawhood admitted losing 69 killed and wounded and six missing.
Conclusion: American victory

Casualties: American:5 killed, 9 wounded, British: 69 killed and wounded, six missing.

February 23-March 15, 1777 at Fort McIntosh, Georgia

On February 23, British Regulars, commanded by Lt. Col. Lewis V. Fuser, Loyalists, and a 600-man party of Creek Indians laid siege to Fort McIntosh. Inside the fort was about 80 Patriots, commanded by Capt. Richard Winn. The Indians set fire to some woods as a diversion. This caused the East Florida Rangers to advance up the road. Col. Brown placed his Rangers and Indians around the fort behind some small trees and bush.

The Loyalists continued to fire on the fort for 7 hours until Brown approached with a flag of truce and demanded the surrender of the fort. Winn asked for an hour to consider the request, and Brown agreed.

At the end of the hour, Winn told them that he could not agree to surrender the fort. Fuser learned that a rider from the fort had been sent to Fort barrington for a relief force. Fuser immediately marched all night and joined Brown and his Rangers to quickly end the siege.

On March 15, Brown ordered his forces to form up in a single line outside the fort. This was to show Winn the number of troops opposing him. Once Winn saw the numbers, he surrendered the fort. Lt. Col. Francis marion and a 107-man relief force were on their way to the fort when they learned of the surrender. He then returned back to Charlestown.
Conclusion: British Victory. Casualties: Americans: 4k, 6w, 68c; British: 1k

March of 1777

March 8, 1777 at Amboy, New Jersey

American troops under General William Maxwell defeat a small British force at Amboy, sustaining three wounded.
Conclusion: American Victory

March 23, 1777 at Peekskill, New York

The previous November, Gen. George Washington had left 3,300 troops here to watch over the Hudson Highlands. Although in the intervening months, large quanities of military supplies had been stored at the post, the great majority of the troops were gone and Massachusetts had ignored Washington's request for 8 regiments to hold it. The post was manned by only 250 troops under Gen Alexander McDougall.

On March 23, 10 British ships disembarked 500 British soldiers for an attack on this storehouse. McDougall withdrew from the town of Peekskill, requesting Col. Marinus Willett to send troops over from Fort Montgomery across the Hudson River. The British advance-guard burned the American barracks and some military supplies. Willett arrived with 80 men and unsuccessfully urged McDougall to attack.

With McDougall's permission, Willett attacked, firing on the British and then charged with bayonets. The British force fell back to their boats and withdrew.
Conclusion: American Victory

April of 1777

April 2, 1777 at Delaware coast, Delaware (HMS Roebuck vs. USS Defense)

On April 2, at 6:00 A.M., the frigates HMS Roebuck and HMS Perseus, commanded by Capt. Charles Phipps, spotted the South Carolina Navy schooner USS Defense, commanded by Capt. Thomas Pickering. They immediately started to chase the Defense. The Roebuck finally caught up with the Defense at 1:00 P.M.

The Roebuck came alongside the Defense and demanded to know what ship it was. Pickering tried to deceive the British by telling them that they were a cruiser from St. Augustine.

The Roebuck did not take any chances and ordered them to lower their sails. When Pickering refused to do it, the 2 British ships opened fire on the Defense. The Defense quickly surrendered. The British ships sent a crew aboard the Defense and sailed it to New York Harbor.
Conclusion: British Victory

April 13, 1777 at Bound Brook, New Jersey

Gen. Charles Cornwallis, while on a foraging expedition, suddenly leads 2,000 British troops against 500 Americans at Bound Brook. Gen. Bejamin Lincoln, who should have been forewarned of any British approach by militia forces, is completely surprised in camp by the onslaught.

However, Lincoln handles his men adroitly and escapes intact after losing 3 cannon, 6 killed, and 20 captured. The defeat persuades Gen. George Washington to redeploy his advanced posts to place them at mutually supporting distances if attacked.
Conclusion: British Victory

April 21, 1777 at Coast off Charlestown, South Carolina

The Royal frigate HMS Galatea was cruising off the coast of Charlestown when she spotted two sails on the horizon. She gave chase and fired three shots at one of the ships, which slowed and was therefore captured. It was the privateer Francois from St. Eustatius to North Carolina with a load of salt.
Conclusion: British Victory

April 25, 1777 at Danbury, Connecticut

Governor William Tryon lands 1,850 men at Compo Beach on the Saugatuck River and advances against the American depot at Danbury, 23 miles distant. The town falls without a struggle the next day and is sacked and burned.

Fortunately for the Americans, a large cache of cannon and ammunition stored there has been removed prior to the attack. Tryon, rather than retrace his steps, decides to return to the fleet by marching via Ridgefield.
Conclusion: British Victory

April 27, 1777 at Ridgefield, Connecticut

Brig. Gen. Benedict Arnold, sulking at his sister's house in New haven because he was passed over for promotion to major general, learned of Maj. Gen. William Tryon's attack on Danbury. He saddled up and rode to Redding, where Brig. Gens. David Wooster and Gold Silliman were situated with 600 men total. They marched to Bethel and arrived early in the morning of April 27.

Having learned that the British would be returning to Norwalk, they divided into 2 seperate units. Arnold and Silliman headed for Ridgefield with 400 men, while Wooster set out to harass the British rear-guard with 200 men. Wooster skirmished repeatedly until he was mortally wounded only 2 miles from Ridgefield; his men retreated after Wooster was wounded. At Ridgefield, Arnold was joined by 100 more militia. They barricaded the road at the north of town and fired as the british approached.
About to be outflanked, the Americans retreated. Arnold was nearly captured when he became entangled in his stirrups as his horse was shot from under him. He shot an attacking Tory that was demanding his surrender and managed to untangle himself and escaped.
Conclusion: British Victory

April 28, 1777 at Norwalk, Connecticut

Maj. Gen. William Tryon made his way to Compo Hill, close to where he would board his ships. Brig. Gen. Benedict Arnold's men formed up for an attack, but 400 British troops, led by Gen. Erskine charged them with bayonets and the Americans scattered. Tryon's men boarded the ships and sailed off.

The two day encounter had cost the Americans about 60 casualties, including 20 dead. The exact British losses were unclear, though they had at least 60 dead.
Conclusion: British Victory

May of 1777

May 3, 1777 at Dunkirk, France (USS Surprise vs. HMS Prince of Orange)

Gustavus Conyngham, the "Dunkirk Pirate," was appointed by the American commissioners in Paris, France at the beginning of March 1777 as commander of the USS Surprise.

He attacked and captured the British packet HMS Prince Of Orange and brought her into port at Dunkirk.
Conclusion: American Victory

May 8, 1777 at South Carolina coast, South Carolina (USS St. Louis vs. HMS Industry)

Information coming soon
Conclusion: SIDE Victory

May 10, 1777 at Piscataway, New Jersey

On May 10, hoping to surprise the British 42nd Highlanders that was posted at Piscataway, Maj. Gen. Adam Stephen, with about 150 men, attacked them. Piscataway is located between Brunswick and Amboy.

The Americans were routed and driven off, with the British pursuing them for almost 3 miles to the American camp at Metuchen. Gen. George Washington investigated the engagement, causing him to write a strong letter to Stephen expressing how displeased he was with Stephen's conduct.
Conclusion: British Victory. Casualties: Americans: 27k, 38-73c; British: 8-9k, 19w

May 17, 1777 at Thomas' Swamp, Florida

Col. Augustine Prevost led a motley group of Indians, Rangers, and British regulars against Col. John Baker's small American force of 109 men. The British quickly routed the Americans. After the battle, Prevost and his regulars struggled to save the American prisoners when the Indians began to massacre them, killing over half the prisoners before the British gained control of the Indians.
Conclusion: British Victory

May 21, 1777 at St. Augustine, West Florida (USS Comet vs. HMS Apalachicola)

On May 21, the South Carolina Navy brig USS Comet spotted the HMS Apalachicola. The Apalachicola was bound from London to St. Augustine carrying a load of dry goods. The Comet tried to outrun it. Both ships fired on one another during the chase. The chase lasted all night.

The Comet finally forced the Apalachicola to surrender after destroying its sails and riggings.
Conclusion: American Victory
Conclusion: British Victory. Casualties: Americans: 8k, 31c; British: ?

May 22, 1777 at Cape Hatteras, North Carolina (HMS Daphne vs. Fanny)

On May 22, the frigate HMS Daphne, commanded by Capt. St. John Chinnery, was on its way to St. Augustine. With the Daphne was the frigate, HMS Union, commanded by Capt. Wallace. The British ships spotted the Fanny, commanded by Thomas Tucker, on their journey. They quickly captured the ship.
Conclusion: British Victory

May 23-24, 1777 at Sag Harbor, New York

On May 23-24, a Patriot raiding force from Guilford, Connecticut, crossed Long Island Sound. They surprised a British foraging party at Sag Harbor.

After destroying 12 British ships, and causing many casualties, the raiders went back to Guilford.
Conclusion: American Victory. Casualties: Americans: ?; British: 6k, 90c

May 25, 1777 at St. Augustine, West Florida (USS Comet vs. Rebecca)

On May 25, the South Carolina Navy frigate, USS Comet, commanded by Capt. Edward Allen, was sailing the waters off the Georgia coast when it spotted two sails near the shoreline.

One of the ships were anchored and the other one was the privateer sloop Rebecca, commanded by Capt. John Mowbray. Mowbray did not know that the Comet was armed and began to pursue it.

The Comet prepared for combat. When Mowbray discovered that the Comet was armed, both British ships began to flee the area towards the St. Augustine Bar. The Comet immediately gave chase.

The Comet chased the British for 3 hours and finally caught up with the Rebecca. Allen fired 3 broadsides at the Rebecca then sailed towards the coast. Rebecca caught up with the Comet and fired 4 broadsides at it, tearing apart its rigging and sails. The Comet fired back at close range.

This battle continued for another half hour. Both sides firing as quick as they could at each other. The Rebecca suffered torn rigging and sails, then pulled back, repaired the damage, and returned to the fight. The Comet fled the area, with the British right behind it. Around midnight, the fight stopped because the British ships were falling behind.
Conclusion: Draw

June of 1777

June 1, 1777 at Charlestown Harbor, South Carolina

Two British naval vessels - the Daphne and a recently-captured sloop Polly, while flying French colors entered into Charlestown harbor. After attracting the attention of some locals in six small boats, who perhaps had come out to the ships to trade, the British took all of them prisoner. Most of those persons taken were slaves, those that belonged to Patriots were sold at market in St. Augustine, while those slaves who belonged to Loyalists living in St. Augustine were returned to them.
Conclusion: British Victory

June 5, 1777 at South Carolina coast, South Carolina (Privateer Union Captured)

On June 5, the privateer brig Union was on its way to Ireland when it was spotted by the Philadelphia privateer Lively, commanded by Capt. Woolman Sutton, off the South Carolina coast. The Lively captured the Union, put a crew aboard it, and sailed the Union to Charlestown.
Conclusion: American Victory

June 8-9, 1777 at St. Johns River, West Florida

On June 8, the American privateer Cotesworth Pinckney, commanded by Capt. William Ranking, captured the British sloop Mary.

On June 9, the Cotesworth Pinckney spotted 3 ships on the horizon. The ships were the frigate HMS Daphne, and its two prize ships Fanny and Polly. Ranking ordered the Mary to the coastline until he found out information about the 3 ships.

The Mary sailed close to the shore. At the mouth of the St. Johns River, it was discovered by the Rebecca, commanded by Capt. John Mowbray. The Mary sailed as fast as it could to the east, but was soon captured by the Daphne. The Daphne then chased after the Cotesworth Pinckney for 6 hours until it escaped.
Conclusion: British Victory

June 14, 1777 at Stono Inlet, South Carolina

On June 14, as the captured British privateer brig Union was approaching the mouth of the Charlestown Harbor, the frigates HMS Galatea and HMS Perseus spotted it.

The Union was chased by the British ships when it suddenly ran aground at Stono Inlet. The crew abandoned the ship. A British tender sent out a few boats to capture the Union. They boarded the ship and then set it on fire.
Conclusion: British Victory

June 17 , 1777 at South Carolina coast, South Carolina (St. Louis vs. HMS Industry)

On June 17, the privateer St. Louis, commanded by Capt. Samuel Spencer, captured the HMS Industry. The Industry was then sent to Charlestown.
Conclusion: American Victory

June 21-22, 1777 at Brunswick, New Jersey

The town of Brunswick was also known as New Brunswick. The town became the major British outpost in New Jersey. By the end of March 1777, American intelligence reported that around 7,800 British and German troops in the vicinity. With his efforts to lure Gen. George Washington into an open battle bearing no fruit, Gen. Sir William Howe withdrew Gen. Philip von Heister's troops from Middlebrook to the anchor post of New Brunswick.

On June 21, Washington had learned that the British were withdrawing from Brunswick and heading to Amboy. He developed a plan to harass the British withdrawal. The plan called for Maj. Gen. John Sullivan to make a feint toward Brunswick while Maj. Gen. William Maxwell would take a flanking position on the British line of retreat and occupy a position between New Brunswick and Amboy. His mission was to forestall any attempt by Howe to assault the Americans' exposed left flank.

On June 22, during the morning, Washington changed the orders and sent Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene and 3 brigades plus a detachment to attack the British rear. The plan went wrong from the beginning. Maxwell never received the new instructions and Sullivan got his new instructions too late to make his changes.

The Americans made a horrible pursuit with only a small part of Greene's detachment getting close enough to the British to inflict only very minor damage. The small part of the detachment ended up routing a German outpost at the bridge at Brunswick. They pursued the Germans until they caught up with the British rear guard. The Americans had to call off their pursuit because of a lack of support.

The British made their way to Amboy unmolested for the rest of the way. They retaliated against the American attack by burning down houses on their way to Amboy.
Conclusion: American Victory

June 26, 1777 at Woodbridge, New Jersey

Gen. William Howe sent Gen. Charles Cornwallis' force through Woodbridge to attempt to outflank the American left while he moved to Metuchen meeting House. Howe sent still a third detachment to Bonham Town to confront Maj. Gens. Nathanial Greene and Anthony Wayne. On the outskirts of Woodbridge, Cornwallis encountered Lord Stirling.

Though outnumbered 2-to-1, Stirling's division fought valiantly, and suffered perhaps 100 men killed. Gen. George Washington took advantage of the delay in Cornwallis' advance to withdraw the main army to the protected positions at Middlebrook. Howe's tactics had failed, and he began to withdraw all of his troops to staten Island.
Conclusion: British Victory

June 27, 1777 at Off the Coast, France (USS Reprisal vs. HMS Burford)

After a successful foray against British merchantmen in the Irish Channel (they captured 18 ships, destroyed 10, and kept 8 ships as prizes), Capt. Lambert Wickes and his two accompanying raiders encountered the British warship HMS Burford when they had almost returned back to France.

Wickes ordered the other ships to scatter while he tried to make good the USS Reprisal's escape. He stayed out of range of the British at first, but the Burford caught up and turned to fire a broadside at the Reprisal. Wickes turned to prevent his sides from being exposed, had some beams sawed from the Reprisal to increase the ship's bouyancy, and sped to safety.
Conclusion: American Victory

July of 1777

July 2, 1777 at Fort Ticonderoga, New York

On July 2, at 3:00 P.M., the advanced elements of Brig. Gen. Simon Fraser's light infantry began sniping at the American position. This provoked a furious series of volleys. When the smoke cleared, no one had been injured on either side.
Brig. Gen. Baron von Riedesel pushed forward to the marshy banks of Eagle Creek at the foot of Mount Independence. Here, his men came under fire from American batteries on the heights. This engagement ended in an indecisive conclusion.
Conclusion: Draw

July 2, 1777 at Charlestown Harbor, South Carolina

Two British naval vessels disguised as Patriot merchant ships entered into the harbor - one had been recently captured by the British - the Defense, the other was a brigantine. Crewmen from the two ships then boarded and seized the Patriot merchant ship Franklin, which was loaded with rice and indigo and was bound for France. The British then set sail and left the port with all three ships - without firing a shot.
Conclusion: British Victory

July 6, 1777 at Skenesborough, New York

The hamlet of Skenesborough, sometimes known as Skenesboro, was located on the southwestern shore of Lake Champlain and had served as the construction site of the small United States Navy fleet assembled by Brig. Gen. Benedict Arnold in 1775.

In the summer of 1777, a small American naval presence remained at Skenesborough and was afforded protection by an iron chain stretched between the banks of the lake.

On July 6, Maj. Gen. John Burgoyne's British navy made short work of the chain by breaking it with well-placed cannon shots. The American defenders attempted to destroy their poorly maintained fortifications and hurriedly departed for the safer confines of Fort Anne to the south.
An advance British unit claimed the handful of American ships at Skenesborough as well as food supplies and several cannon. A small party pursued the fleeing rebels and the remainder awaited the arrival of Burgoyne, who had dispatched a portion of his army into the interior at Hubbardton.
Conclusion: British Victory

July 9, 1777 at Newport, Rhode Island

Militia Lt. Col. William Barton conceived a plan to capture Gen. Richard Prescott, the commander of the British forces in Rhode Island, and to offer him in exchange for Maj. Gen. Charles Lee. During the night of July 9, barton set out with 40 volunteers from his company in 5 bateaux.
They landed on the western shore at Newport, moved a mile inland, and captured Prescott and his aide-de-camp.
Conclusion: American Victory

USS Notre Dame vs. HMS Judith , July 14, 1777 at Florida coast, West Florida

On July 14, the USS Notre Dame, commanded by Capt. Stephen Seymour, spotted and captured the brig HMS Judith while off the Florida coast. The Judith was sent to Georgetown and arrived there on July 20.
Conclusion: American Victory

July 22, 1777 at Oconee River, Georgia

On July 22, a party of Creek Indians stole some horses from a Patriot camp at Long Creek. The camp was composed of a company of the 1st Georgia Regiment Continentals, commanded by Capt. Thomas Dooly, and a Virginia militia unit. Dolly took himself and 9 Georgians to pursue the Indians.

The Indians set up an ambush near the Oconee River. When Dooly entered the ambush site, the Indians attacked. Of the 10 men, only 3 wounded men managed to escape back to their camp. Dooly was one of the 7 men who were killed.
Conclusion: British Victory

July 29-30, 1777 at Fort Edward, New York

Brig. Gen. Philip Schuyler abandoned Fort edward and marched down the Hudson River to saratoga. His delaying tactics had slowed Gen. John Burgoyne and his British force advance to a crawl.

The natural landscape was hazardous enough, with numerous ravines, fallen trees, and swamps; and Schuyler's men had compounded the difficulties for Burgoyne by cutting down scores of trees, rolling boulders down the hillsides, and dug ditches to create more swampland. Consequently, it had taken Burgoyne's army 24 days to travel 23 miles.

As Burgoyne approached Fort Edward, the retreating American force put the torch to crops and grasslands, withdrawing settlers and their cattle as they proceeded, to deny the British forage, horses, and meat.
Conclusion: British Victory

July 29, 1777 at Fort Edward, New York

Gen. Philip J. Schuyler abandons Fort Edward and begins withdrawing down the Hudson River Valley towards Saratoga, 30 miles above Albany. He so successfully obstructs the progress of Gen. John Burgoyne's juggernaut with felled trees and other obstacles that the British only cover 23 miles over the next 24 days..
Conclusion: British Victory

August of 1777

August 5, 1777 at Reedy River, South Carolina

In August, Capt. Richard Pearis was raising Loyalists men to go to Mobile to fight for the British. He managed to gather up 400 men. The local Patriot militia learned of this gathering and raided the Loyalist camp on the Reedy River. Many of the Loyalists were captured but most of them managed to escape. The captured Loyalists were sent to Ninety-Six and imprisoned.
Conclusion: American Victory

August 2, 1777 at Dutch Harbor Island, Rhode Island

Accurate gunfire from shore drives HMS Renown away from Dutch Harbor Island.
Conclusion: American Victory

August 5, 1777 at Reedy River, South Carolina

In August, Capt. Richard Pearis was raising Loyalists men to go to Mobile to fight for the British - including David Fanning, who had recently escaped from the Patriots again. Capt. Pearis managed to gather up 400 men. The local Patriot Militia - Capt. Thomas Woodward of the Fairfield Regiment - learned of this gathering and raided the Loyalist camp on the Reedy River.

Many of the Loyalists were captured but most of them managed to escape. The captured Loyalists were sent to Ninety-Six and imprisoned. Capt. Pearis and Capt. Fanning were captured, but Pearis escaped and made his way to Florida, where he was made a captain of the West Florida Militia.
Conclusion: American Victory

August 22, 1777 at Setauket, New York

On August 22, 500 Patriot troops, led by Col. Abraham Parsons, came ashore from Fairfield, Conn. Setauket was defended by 150 Tories, commanded by Lt. Col. Richard Hewlett. The battle started with a short cannonade and followed up with 5 hours of fighting, they unsuccessfully tried to force the British out of Setauket, retreating across the Sound when word came that English ships were about to close off their escape route.
Conclusion: British Victory

September of 1777

September 1, 1777 at Fort Henry, Virginia

On September 1, 400 Indians laid siege to Fort Henry, named in honor of Patrick Henry. The settlers took refuge in the fort before the Indians attacked. Several soldiers died in skirmishes outside the walls before the siege began.
After American reinforcements arrived, the Indians burned the settlement, killed livestock, and then withdrew. In the end, there was not any deaths among ther fort's defenders.
Conclusion: American Victory

September 12, 1777 at Chester, Pennsylvania (Occupation of Chester)

On September 12, Gen. George Washington and the American army were withdrawing from Brandywine towards Chester. Maj. Gen. William Howe and the British army was following the Americans during their retreat. While Washington continued through Chester, when the British entered the town, they occupied it.

September 16, 1777 at Warren, Pennsylvania

In the days following his defeat at the Battle of Brandywine, Gen. George Washington was intent on accomplishing two contradictory tasks: protecting Philadelphia from British forces under Gen. Sir William Howe and replenishing rapidly dwindling supplies and munitions from stockpiles in Reading, Pennsylvania.

For reasons known only to Howe, the British did not immediately pursue Washington's retreating Continental Army after the victory of September 11. Instead, Howe remained in camp for several days along Brandywine Creek, then resumed the chase.

Washington received word of the British advance and chose to make a stand at a location on a valley road between Lancaster and Philadelphia.

Skirmishing began on September 16 and British forces initiated flanking movements around the American lines. Before the armies were fully engaged, however, rain began and quickly turned into a steady downpour. Powder became wet, making the firearms useless.

This "battle" in the clouds of rain and fog never developed. Washington withdrew his forces, led his army to Reading for supplies and left behind a small force under Anthony Wayne to harass the presumed British movement toward Philadelphia.

Howe's army found it nearly impossible to follow Washington over the rutted, muddy roads. The decision was made to wait out the storm, then move toward their objective. Wayne established a camp near Paoli, where he would be surprised by a British raid a few days later.
Conclusion: Inconclusive Victory

September 16, 1777 at Warren, Pennsylvania

On September 16, both British and American forces prepared for a major engagement in the vicinity of Warren or White Horse Tavern. Heavy rain that day made the cartridge boxes too wet to be used and the American forces decided to withdraw.
Conclusion: Inconclusive Victory

September 18, 1777 at Fort Ticonderoga, New York

American detachments raided the vicinity of Fort Ticonderoga. They captured 300 British and managed to free 100 Patriot prisoners. The raid was a severe blow to the British line of communications.
Conclusion: American Victory

September 19, 1777 at Bemus Heights, New York

In December, Gen. Burgoyne concerted with the British ministry a plan for the campaign of 1777. A large force under his command was to go to Albany by way of Lakes Champlain and George, while another body, under Sir Henry Clinton, advanced up the Hudson. Simultaneously, Col. Barry St. Leger was to make a diversion, by way of Oswego, on the Mohawk river.

In pursuance of this plan, Burgoyne, in June began his advance with one of the best-equipped armies that had ever left the shores of England.

Proceeding up Lake Champlain, he easily forced the evacuation of Crown Point, Ticonderoga, and Fort Anne. But, instead of availing himself of the water-carriage of Lake George, at the head of which there was a direct road to Fort Edward, he advanced upon that work by land, consuming 3 weeks in cutting a road through the woods and building bridges over swamps.

This gave time for Schuyler to gather the yeomanry together, and for Washington to re-enforce that general with troops, under Morgan, from the southern department. Burgoyne also lost valuable time and received a fatal check by his disastrous attack on Bennington.

At length, finding his progress stopped by the entrenchments of Gates at Bemus's Heights, 9 miles south of Saratoga, he endeavored to extricate himself from his perilous position by fighting. Two battles were fought, on nearly the same ground, on September 19th and October 7th. The September 19th battle was indecisive.

This event was the turning-point in the American revolution. It secured the French alliance, and lifted the clouds of moral and financial gloom that had settled upon the hearts of the leaders, even the hopeful Washington. Burgoyne, until his unfortunate campaign, stood very high in his profession.
Conclusion: Draw

September 23, 1777 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Occupation of Philadelphia)

Gen. Charles Cornwallis, marching in with 4 British and 2 Hessien units, took possession of the city of Philadelphia to the acclaim of Loyalist supporters. The main body of his army encamped at germantown.

Gen. George Washington moved from Pott's Grove to encamp at Pennybacker's Mill (Schwenksville) on the Perkiomen River. He was not deeply dispirited by the loss of Philadelphia and concentrated his energies on restoring his troops.
Conclusion: British Victory

September 24, 1777 at Diamond Island, New York

Having previously captured 300 British troops on the west shore of Lake George, Col. John Brown's Continentals successfully raided the British post at Diamond Island, located south of Ticonderoga. They were unsuccessful in capturing Fort Ticonderoga itself.
Conclusion: American Victory

September 26, 1777 at North Carolina coast, North Carolina (Nancy vs. British ships)

On September 26, the privateer Nancy, commanded by Capt. Palmer, captured two British ships off the North Carolina coast that contained 100 slaves and ivory. Palmer sent the ships to Georgia.
Conclusion: American Victory

October of 1777

October ??, 1777 at Cape Lookout Bay, North Carolina

Capt. Enoch Ward, with his Core Sound Independent Company, seized a prize schooner named the Liverpool, commanded by Capt. Mayes, from Providence to New York, loaded with fruit and turtle for Lord Howe.

This vessel was put into Cape Lookout Bay, under the sanction of a pretended friend, but Capt. Ward's vigilance soon discovered her to be an enemy. During the night, he boarded her with some of his company and took her. She was about 30 tons, and has since been refitted as a local privateer.
Conclusion: American Victory

October 2, 1777 at Billingsport, New Jersey

Ge. William Howe and his naval fleet were headed to Philadelphia. The American forces found out his intentions and had blocked the Chesapeake River some miles below the city, about halfway down to Chester. The American works were unimpressive. First, they had blocked the river channel with a line of sunken stakes, and covered them with a small battery at Billings Port.

On October 2, the British opened their operations by easily overrunning the Billingsport work and cut their way through the stakes.
Conclusion: British Victory

October 5, 1777 at Tarrytown, New York (Occupation of Tarrytown)

Having assembled his entire force, Gen. Sir Henry Clinton launched his convoy of flatboats, galleys, and bataeaux with his attack force and set out for Verplank's Point, at Tarrytown, on October 5. After he arrived, he quickly seized when the American defenders withdrew without any resistence.
Conclusion: British Victory

October 8, 1777 at Constitution Island, New York

On October 8, British forces under Gen. Sir Henry Clinton occupied then destroyed Patriot fortifications on Constitution Island.
Conclusion: British Victory

October 10, 1777 at Fort Mifflin, Pennsylvania

Fort Mifflin was an American fort that covered one end of a band of obstructions across the Delaware River. It was garrisoned by 450 men. The fort was located ooposite of Fort Mercer on Port Island, between Hog Island and Mud Island. The fort was known to have been poorly engineered.

On October 10, the British forces on nearby Province Island began a bombardment against the weak, land side of the fort. The bombardment lasted for about 2 weeks.

On October 23, the day after the nearby British/German defeat at the Battle of Fort Mercer, 6 British man-of-war had managed to approach through a gap that that the British had made in the American chevaux-de-frise. When they neared Fort Mifflin, the fort's guns and the supporting river craft inflicted severe damege to the British ships. Two of the ships, the HMS Augusta and the HMS Merlin, ran aground and were destroyed.
Conclusion: American Victory

October 16, 1777 at Kingston, New York

Gen. Sir Henry Clinton had sent Gen. John Vaughn, with 1,700 troops and a flotilla commanded by Capt. Sir James Wallace, upriver in an effort to find and support Gen. John Burgoyne. On October 15, the british force anchored at Kingston. On October 16, the British set fire to most of Kingston and moved on to Livingston's Manor.
Conclusion: British Victory

October 23, 1777 at Fort Mifflin, Pennsylvania

On October 23, British ships were trying to break through the Delaware River defenses and reach Philadelphia. The guns at Fort Mifflin fired on the ships and managed to inflict heavy damage on the British naval force. Only 2 warships were destroyed in the engagement.
Conclusion: American Victory

November of 1777

November ??, 1777 at PLACE, South Carolina

On a bright moonlit night, the Continental Navy sloop USS Providence spotted a sail. In a few minutes, the unknown ship sailed under lee quarter and gave the Providence a broadside, then ran ahead. The Providence drew up alongside and fired a broadside into the unknown ship.

The unknown ship was a privateer attempting to lure the Providence closer to a waiting British warship. Capt. John Rathbun of the Providence spotted the privateer trying to signal the other ship with a lantern. He decided not to fire any more cannon so as not give away his position, but he did continue to chase the privateer until daylight.

A lieutenant standing on the roundhouse became the target for the gunners on the Providence. They kept sighting in on the lieutenant until they hit him with a cannonball. It took only three shots to get him, and the Providence was quickly alongside the privateer. When boarded, they found the lieutenant had fallen on the helmsman.

The British had the lieutenant killed and five other men badly wounded. The Providence sailed to Georgetown with her prize and continued to operate out of Georgetown for the rest of the winter months of 1777-1778.
Conclusion: American Victory

November 20, 1777 at Fort Mercer, New Jersey

With Fort Mifflin lost to the British, Fort Mercer appeared to be impossible for the Americans to hold because Gen. William Howe effectively controled the entire area from the Delaware River to the Red Bank. Brig. Gen. Nathanael Greene believed the odds were against the Americans.

On November 20, Col. Christopher Greene, judging his garrison to be in a hopeless position, evacuated Fort Mercer with Brig. Gen. Greene's concurrence. The American force burned the fort's buildings and supplies when they finally left. Without a shot being fired, Fort Mercer fell to Gen. Charles Cornwallis. Howe now controlled the Delaware River all the way to Philadelphia. The few American ships that were still upriver were destroyed and burned to prevent them from being captured by the British.
Conclusion: British Victory

November 25, 1777 at Gloucester, New Jersey

On November 25, Brig. Gen. Marquis de Lafayette led a reconnaissance force of 300 Continentals regulars against Gen. Charles Cornwallis' command at the town of Gloucester. Lafayette's outnumbered troops skirmished with a force of Hessiens. The successful engagement against Cornwallis' position occured at Gloucester.
Conclusion: American Victory

December of 1777

December 6, 1777 at Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania

On December 6, a vanguard of Gen. William Howe's army engaged with a Patriot militia force at Chestnut Hill. After heavy firing from both sides, the militia was forced to withdraw from the area.
Conclusion: British Victory

December 7, 1777 at Edge Hill, Pennsylvania

On December 7, Gen. Charles Grey probes American positions at Edge Hill and pushes back several hundred defenders, under Cols. Daniel Morgan and Mordecai Gist, but concludes the position is impervious to attack. Capt. Allan McLane also repulses a Hessian bayonet charge with his dragoons, rescuing Gen. Joseph Reed from capture. Fighting then sputters out along the line as Gen. William Howe again declines to commit forces to a frontal assault.

That night, he withdraws his army in stages and southward toward Bethlehem Pike. Gen. George Washington, disappointed that the British do not attack his entrenchments, suffers around 100 casualties; the British admit to 12 casualties.
Conclusion: British Victory

December 10, 1777 at Long Island, New York

On December 10, Col. S.B. Webb and his regiment conducted a raid against the British-held Long Island. The raid was quickly broken up by some British warships. Webb and his men were eventually captured.
Conclusion: British Victory

December 11, 1777 at Whitemarsh, Pennsylvania

Gen. George Washington's army left Whitemarsh with the intention of crossing the Schuylkill River at Matson's Ford by bridge. They would then proceed to Valley Forge. Brig. Gen. John Sullivan's division and a half of a second division was already across when the advance unit of a force of 3,500 British regulars, led by Gen. Charles Cornwallis came into view.
Washington ordered his men back across the bridge at Matson's Ford, which they subsequently destroyed to stop the Cornwallis from following them. Both sides faced each other on opposite sides of the river. Cornwallis moved off to forage for supplies. Washington returned to Whitemarsh. Niether side could claim a victory.
Conclusion: Draw

December 11, 1777 at Matson's Ford, Pennsylvania

On December 10, late that night, Gen. Charles Cornwallis was sent from Philadelphia with 3,500 troops and almost all the dragoons and mounted German jagers. They were to forage along the south bank of the Schuylkill River.

On December 11, Gen. George Washington left White Marsh with his army to travel to their winter quarters at Valley Forge.

Washington had no idea that the British were heading in the same direction as him. As soon as they crossed the Schuylkill River, Washington's advance guard accidentally ran into the British foraging party at Gulph Mills.

Gulph Mills was located near Matson's Ford. The Americans quickly withdrew back across the river, destroying their makeshift bridge along the way.

On December 12, the British returned to Philadelphia that evening with 2,000 sheep and cattle. Washington stayed in the vicinity of "the Gulph" for a week before moving on to Valley Forge.
Conclusion: British Victory

December 22, 1777 at , Cuba (HMS Daphne vs. USS Comet)

On December 22, the brig USS Comet, commanded by Capt. James Pyne, encountered and fought the HMS Daphne. The Comet was captured, its crew were sworn into the British Navy, and Pyne was sent to new York and imprisoned.
Conclusion: British Victory

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap